POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Strange rendering of a torus : Strange rendering of a torus Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:15:32 EDT (-0400)
  Strange rendering of a torus
From: Bjorn Jonsson
Date: 29 Apr 2001 17:28:36
Message: <MPG.155698bd1378c858989687@news.povray.org>
I'm having trouble getting a torus object to render properly. I've tried
adding the sturm keyword but it seemed to have absolutely no effect on
the torus' appearance. The torus appears "noisy", it's as if some of the
rays do not hit it even though they should. It does not matter if the
camera is near the object or far from it, the field of view ("angle")
does not matter either, this appears regardless of whether the torus
appears big or small in the rendering. Using antialiasing (or not using
it) has no effect.

I'm using POV-Ray 3.1g running under Windows NT 4.

A small (17 KB) JPG image showing the problem can be seen at
http://www.mmedia.is/~bjj/torus.jpg

FWIW my code looks like this:

torus  {
   66,33 sturm
   rotate x*90
   translate <-66,116,0>
   clipped_by {object {plane {<0,1,0>,116}}}
   clipped_by {object {plane {<-1,0,0>,66}}}
}

and later on:
   pigment {White}
   finish  {Dull}

(this same pigment/finish is also for a few cylinders which together with
the torus are part of a union)

Bjorn