POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV processor comparison... : Re: POV processor comparison... Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV processor comparison...
From: Jamie Davison
Date: 26 Apr 2001 15:11:06
Message: <MPG.1552832c644492619898ed@news.povray.org>
> : These values may be slightly skewed singe I only ran each trace once,
> : rather than running multiple times each time on a fresh reboot and
> : averaging results
>
>   The benchmarks of type "make a fresh boot, turn everything else off, give
> povray the highest possible priority, don't do ANYTHING else while it's
> rendering" are good for testing raw rendering speed of the processor.
>   However, they are usually of no much use for the average user. Well,
> they are useful when deciding which CPU to buy, but they don't give you
> a too realistic idea of how fast povray is in practice with that CPU. Usually
> people do other things while povray is rendering, make tens of even hundreds
> of renders without a clean boot in between and so on.

Sorry for the delay replying.

I agree that the numbers don't mean that much in practice, but I thought
it might demonstrate the difference the various versions of POV make on
at least one system used by a frequenter of these groups (i.e. Me. :)

Sadly, as I don't have a P4-1.7Ghz I can't do a CPU to CPU comparison,
but I'm not going to complain since I seem to have gotten a Pretty damn
fast box for not a lot of money (relatively speaking)

As far as other loads on the PC go whilst rendering, well, I usually only
have Moray running at the same time as POV, and leave my machine alone to
render (a holdover from my DOS dats) so i suspect I'm not an average user
<grin>

Ah well, just thought the numbers might prove useful to somebody out
there.

Bye for now,
     Jamie.