POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Glass : Re: Glass Reflections Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:22:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glass Reflections
From: Jamie Davison
Date: 10 Jan 2001 17:09:58
Message: <MPG.14c6ed695d0c3372989868@news.povray.org>
> >Construct your pane of glass as a CSG difference of two cubes, one taking
> >a face off the other.  Assign the textures, one to each cube, and viola!
> >You have a pane of glass which has one face which eiother reflects or
> >does not reflect, depending on how you assigned the textures.
>
> Maybe, maybe not.  There's also TIR, which is solely dependent on the
> IOR of the object.

True enough I suppose.  Then you could always just use a clipped plane as
a single face of a pane of glass, and fake it.  (the great maxim of
computer graphics as far as I'm concerned, if it's too tricky to do the
real way, fake it.  <grin>)

Although thinking about it, assuming that both textures were identical
apart from the reflection settings (Interior etc.) then surely the non-
reflective face would work to kill any TIR that might be taking place?

I'll try playing with it tomorrow night, as I need to hit the shower and
get to bed since I'm knackered.

Bye for now,
     Jamie.