POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smoothing 8 bit greyscale images : Re: Smoothing 8 bit greyscale images Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:25:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoothing 8 bit greyscale images
From: Jamie Davison
Date: 8 Jul 2000 13:39:21
Message: <MPG.13d176104b7c260a989735@news.stmuc.com>
On Sat, 08 Jul 2000 13:00:03 -0400, Glenn Greenway wrote...
[snip]
> Thanks for the useful information.  However, perhaps my initial post wasn't
> very clear.  I'm particularly interesed in image maps being used to modulate
> isosurfaces.  So far my attempts have been pretty rough looking. I'm
> assuming the roughness is a result of using 8 bit grey scale images.  The
> Pov documentaion is pretty specific about the inherent value of 16 bit grey
> scale with regard to heightfields.  It seems to me that if a user could
> 'upsample' and blur the 8 bit images, the resultant 16 bit would be a lot
> smoother when applied to an isosurface.  I can't believe the power and
> elegance of the isosurface patch.  Even a simple gradient image when applied
> spherically of cylindrically to an appropriate isosurface results in
> fabulous deformation.  If I can just 'smooth' those images....

Oops, he mentioned the 'I' word...

Sorry, I play with POV primarily through Moray, so I haven't needed to
wrap my brain around isosurfaces yet.

As far as smoothing greyscale bitmaps goes, do you have access to
Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, or the GIMP?  Any of those should be able to
apply a gaussian blur to the images and save the resulting image out with
a greater bit depth.

Bye for now,
     Jamie.