POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smoothing 8 bit greyscale images : Re: Smoothing 8 bit greyscale images Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoothing 8 bit greyscale images
From: Jamie Davison
Date: 8 Jul 2000 10:41:55
Message: <MPG.13d14c8131f3711b989734@news.stmuc.com>
On Sat, 08 Jul 2000 14:23:06 +0200, Thorsten Froehlich wrote...
> > Is there a standard method for 'upsampling' 8 bit greyscale images to 16 bit
> > using MacMegaPov?  I know that POV can read 8 bits and write 16 but without
> > an imtermediate smoothing step the resultant image isn't any smoother.
>
> A computer screen can only display 8 bits per colour component, which also
> limits it to 256 (8 bit) levels of grey.  You will not be able to see the
> difference on screen if you use 65536 (16 bit) levels of grey.
>
> 16 bit per colour component or 16 bit greyscale for output are only useful
> if you plan to post process the image in a program like PhotoShop, i.e. in
> order to print it.

16bit grayscales could be useful for Heightfields, I suppose...

And I suppose that using interpolate 2 or 4 on an image mapped surface
could get you some more colour depth, but usually it just blurs the
detail in the image.

Bye for now,
     Jamie.