POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modeling complicated objects in POV-Ray : Re: Modeling complicated objects in POV-Ray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modeling complicated objects in POV-Ray
From: Bjorn Jonsson
Date: 28 Mar 2000 17:39:28
Message: <MPG.134b45c73a796a1f989683@news.povray.org>
In article <38E0B316.800EE12C@online.no>, tto### [at] onlineno says...
> Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
>
> > As an example I have included below some macros that
> > solve your second problem (In 3D-space though).
>
> Oops, I didn't read this thoroughly:

There was an error in what I posted so this is not strange.

> > Bjorn Jonsson wrote:
> >
> > > (2) Given two lines through three points (you can think of this as two
> > > out of three sides on a triangle), determine the center and radius of a
> > > circle which 'touches' one of the lines at a point with a known distance
> > > from the point common to the two lines.

The above is erroneous as indicated in another article. I meant a circle
that 'touches' (is tangential to) *both* lines. Sorry for this error.

> The macros I posted finds the centre of a circle with a GIVEN radius,
> and that touches BOTH of your lines. The "touch-points" are also
> returned together with the normal-vector for the plane that the two
> lines lies in. (The centre of the circle lies in this plane.)

Which is very similar to what I was doing. Thanks for posting your
macros, they are a good 'jump-start' for me in starting to have a proper
look at POV macros.

Bjorn