POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modeling complicated objects in POV-Ray : Re: Modeling complicated objects in POV-Ray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:15:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modeling complicated objects in POV-Ray
From: Bjorn Jonsson
Date: 28 Mar 2000 17:31:46
Message: <MPG.134b43f951bc66ac989682@news.povray.org>
In article <POzfOBclcGzgXuL4XVuaeAuoKOY6@4ax.com>, pet### [at] usanet
says...

<snip>

> If you could turn those (really useful!) utilities into povray macros,
> I am sure many people will be thankful for making their lives a tad
> easier. About your question, I would usually use a macro for such
> tasks because it spares some trouble with switching consoles, copying
> & pasting etc.

This could be very interesting to do at some time. One of my problems
though is that modelling in POV has turned out to be so fun that I've
found it a little difficult to give myself time to finish reading the
manual ;-). Despite this I knew a little about macros but since I had
lots of code related to 2D/3D geometry lying around on my machine it was
straightforward to 'tweak' it for this use.

I have also wondered that having lots of macros as opposed to numercial
'constants' and coordinates might mess up the POV file since what I'm
doing is not 'dynamic' - the objects don't change shape, not even in an
animation. But I'm probably still a POV-beginner and don't have a good
'feel' for how to do some things although it's improving - I have already
partially rewritten the oldest (a few weeks) parts of my Cassini
spacecraft POV file.

An example of what I have used my utilities for is creating a prism-like
(as seen from a distance) object which has round corners when seen close-
up. I didn't achieve results I was satisfied with by using quadratic or
cubic spline prisms (which is what I tried at first).

Bjorn Jonsson
bjj### [at] zzzmmediais - http://www.mmedia.is/~bjj
Remove yyy and zzz to reply