POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modeling complicated objects in POV-Ray : Modeling complicated objects in POV-Ray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  Modeling complicated objects in POV-Ray
From: Bjorn Jonsson
Date: 27 Mar 2000 17:43:06
Message: <MPG.1349f50a47ab4ea2989680@news.povray.org>
I'm working on my first 'real' POV-Ray project, a complicated (IMO) model
of NASA's Cassini spacecraft. This has made me wonder how people usually
create really complicated stuff in POV. I'm a programmer myself but
*lots* of people using POV are not. The point is that while making this
model I have found it almost impossible to construct certain parts of it
without using lots of small 'command line' utilities I wrote in C++ to do
some geometric calculations, for instance:

(1) Given two circles, find the four lines that are tangential two both
circles and the points where they 'touch' the circles.

(2) Given two lines through three points (you can think of this as two
out of three sides on a triangle), determine the center and radius of a
circle which 'touches' one of the lines at a point with a known distance
from the point common to the two lines.

And so on, I have written about 5-7 such utilities in recent weeks. I
use the results from them primarily in POV's union and difference
statements. Non-programmers can't create utilities like this (and
calculating something like this on e.g. a pocket calculator is extremely
tedious) so I'm wondering if I'm missing something, are utilities like
this available somewhere (if that is the case then *that's* what I've
missed ;-), are you using such utilities or is what I'm doing unusual in
some way (I don't think so) ?

I'm coding the model 'by hand' in POV (the POV file is now more than
2000 lines) but I'm using lots of 'blueprints' and information on Cassini
that I have found at several (mainly NASA/JPL) websites.

Renderings of my Cassini model can be seen at:

http://www.mmedia.is/~bjj/povstuff/cassini

The radar antennae were particularly complicated and required heavy use
of my utilities.

Bjorn Jonsson
bjj### [at] zzzmmediais - http://www.mmedia.is/~bjj
Remove yyy and zzz to reply