POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : orthographic projection of game tiles.... : Re: orthographic projection of game tiles.... Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:15:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: orthographic projection of game tiles....
From: Phoenix
Date: 1 Mar 1999 04:34:56
Message: <MPG.11447dce346addd698969c@news.povray.org>
'T was on Mon, 1 Mar 1999 00:45:26 -0600,
that John M. Dlugosz wrote:
> Forget the "look at" and just use the height/width in your right/up vectors.
> If memory serves (I did some ortho reciently), the camer's position is the
> lower-left corner, not the center!   Don't rotate the camera and you'll have
> nice straight lines.

Er... Not exactly true.
With orthographic camera's, the up and right vectors determine the view
size with the look_at point as the *middle*.

For instance,

camera {
    location <0, 10, 0>
    up <0, 2, 0>
    right <2, 0, 0>
    look_at <0, 0, 0>
}

would give you a view of 2 units wide and 2 units high (yes, a square
image :) with the origin as the center point.

With this camera you could use a plane on the y axis as the background
and put whatever you want to tile on the origin.

Don't forget to specify the image width and height itself!

Phoenix

--
eag### [at] telekabelnl                       http://users.telekabel.nl/eagle
The POV-Ray VFAQ: http://iki.fi/warp/povVFAQ.html