POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to parse data only once in whole animation : Re: How to parse data only once in whole animation Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to parse data only once in whole animation
From: Mike Williams
Date: 31 May 2004 00:00:56
Message: <K8qOxEAt3quAFwJB@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Gawel who wrote:
>Hajo,
>I have large *.inc file with definition of my objects.
>Almost 90% time of rendering in every frame takes parsing of data.
>However data does not change during rendering.
>Is it possible to read data only once ?

No, but in many cases it's possible to speed things up by saving the
results of any complicated calculations that you are performing during
the parsing. The parser tends to be pretty quick at processing raw
objects, and the things that tend to take up the parsing time are often
the complicated calculations that determine the positioning of those
objects. So save the calculated data from the first frame by #write-ing
it to a file and then just #read it back for the other frames.

The other thing that's likely to take huge amounts of parsing time is
the loading of tens of megabytes of mesh data, and there's no way to
avoid the parsing time for that.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure