POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Optimizing objects : Re: Optimizing objects Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Optimizing objects
From: Mike Williams
Date: 18 Mar 2003 14:43:02
Message: <JopK2DARl2d+Ewqy@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Matti Karnaattu who wrote:
>If object is made using CSG and boxes then is it true that avoiding
>intersection and difference speeds up rendering?

Yes, but in many cases you can get most of the speed back if you can
apply tight manual bounding. POV can't work out, in advance, which parts
of the objects remain after some bits are removed, so it creates an
automatic bounding box that contains the union of the objects.

>Can I speed up rendering using meshes if object is constructed flat
>surfaces?

Rewriting the entire structure as a single mesh2 object will usually be
the fastest way to render complex structures

It's also worth considering breaking your structure into smaller boxes
and unioning them back together. The intersections and differences of a
set of boxes can always be described as the union of a set of smaller
boxes. Unless you've got thousands of boxes, the speed isn't going to be
much slower than a mesh2.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure