POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What is the most marketable skill? : Re: What is the most marketable skill? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is the most marketable skill?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 9 Jan 2004 02:09:03
Message: <JjvRnOA8Lk$$EweE@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Jim Charter who wrote:

>Interesting.  Do you know why it has such appeal?  I mean it is an
>appealing enough language to use, but what is the particular
>characteristic that puts it at the top of the list?

One thing that the application developers can easily do in Python that
might be tricky in some other languages is produce an environment where
only safe actions can be performed. In most other languages that might
be considered, file I/O is part of the core language, so a secure
scripting environment would require rewriting fundamental parts of the
interpreter/compiler.

For example, Paint Shop Pro 8 has a safe environment for "restricted
scripts" where only safe actions are permitted and a separate
environment for "trusted scripts" which permits full access to any
Python library.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure