POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How do I prevent programs from being loaded at startup in Windows98? : Re: How do I prevent programs from being loaded at startup in Windows98? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:16:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I prevent programs from being loaded at startup in Windows98?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 25 Feb 2000 13:05:35
Message: <Jih1XBA51pt4EwCj@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it David Fontaine who wrote:

>How do I prevent programs from being loaded at startup in Windows98?
>If they're not in the StartUp folder...

Well, step 1 is to find out what's starting them. There are several
different things that can do it. To find out which one is doing it use
System Information

[Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information]

Choose the [Software Environment -> Startup Programs] section. The
"Loaded From" column tells you what is loading the program.

If "Loaded From" says "Startup Group", then it should mean that the
program is in the StartUp folder.

If "Loaded From" says "Win.ini" then you need to edit Windows\Win.ini.
Look for a line like "load=******.EXE" and clobber it (having saved a
copy first, just in case).

If "Loaded From" says "Registry (...)", then you need to edit the
registry. Editing the registry is a bit of a black art, and I can't
possibly describe how to do it here, but the main tool you will need is
windows\regedit.exe.

As far as I know, there may be other possible values of "Loaded From".

--
Mike Williams * ##
Gentleman of Leisure