POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Bump / Normal height : Re: Bump / Normal height Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bump / Normal height
From: Mike Williams
Date: 14 Aug 2007 00:40:42
Message: <JUuh6CAEITwGFwTK@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Woody who wrote:
>I can't seem to figure out how to change the intensity of normal surfaces
>from the pov documentation. i.e how far a normal surface portrudes from the
>regular surface of an object.
>
>How do I change how far the checker lines extend beyond the 2 unit radius of
>the sphere?

Bumps and normals don't extend beyond the surface. The effect is
produced by pretending that the surface is tilted, but each pixel is
still located exactly on the surface.

To actually extend beyond the radius of the sphere you can switch to
using isosurfaces.

>The pic and source are as follows
>http://www.geocities.com/jeffwood581981/bump.bmp
>http://www.geocities.com/jeffwood581981/bump.txt

   "The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily
   exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later."

You could probably have avoided that problem by using a compressed image
format for your files. An 800*600 full colour BMP image is 1.406 Mb. You
could have used a JPG image of about 40kb (depending on how lossy you
set the compression) or a lossless PNG image of 79kb.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure