POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Mosaic. Is it noise, hf_gray_16....? : Re: Mosaic... some clarifications Server Time
16 May 2024 16:07:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mosaic... some clarifications
From: Mike Williams
Date: 13 Dec 2001 02:53:23
Message: <Gue2kKAr4FG8Ewqd@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it bob h who wrote:

>Anyway, that isn't the main concern I had.  It's the mosaic produced from
>the hf_gray_16 image when used in a isosurface.  The image being output is
>always nothing but noise instead of smooth pattern (oh yeah, please ignore
>that ppm image unless it means anything.  I just put that in to try it too).
>I thought this was fixed as of beta 8, otherwise I wouldn't have posted
>about it.

What's happening is that .grey isn't the correct way to extract height
information from a hf_gray_16 image, it's the way to extract a gray
equivalent from an RGB image. The data bits are stored in a different
order in a hf_gray_16 than they are in an RGB image, so the resulting
pixels are at all sorts of wrong heights.

So change it from ".gray" to the experimental ".hf", like

        function {y-F_p(x,y,z).hf*.1}

and it may also be worthwhile to increase the max_gradient on your
second isosurface.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure