POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : --- : Re: Efficiency question, PovRay 3.1 - intersections? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Efficiency question, PovRay 3.1 - intersections?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 12 Feb 2004 23:02:44
Message: <FKipOBAkpELAFwDU@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Darren who wrote:
>I'm drawing a building, rendering it with V 3.1. (Willing to switch up,
>if it'll help, tho. It just happens to be what I have.)
>
>If I trace it at +Q3 with no AA, it renders some 3000 pixels per second.
>If I trace it at +Q4 with no AA, it renders at some 3 pixels per second.
>
>Yep. a 1000:1 hit there, apparently to calculate the shadows.
>
>Now, the building consists basically of
>
>intersection {
>   union {
>     ... lots of walls ...
>    }
>    union {
>      ... all the doorways and windows ...
>    }
>  }
>followed by lights, furniture, etc. The lights are all point sources
>with various falloffs.

It might be worth a look at my POV holes tutorial
<http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/holetut.htm>

That tutorial talks about differences rather than intersections, but
some of the general principles may well apply. In particular observe how
the tutorial examines the POV statistics to see where all the time goes.
If you compare the +Q3 with the +Q4 stats (render a tiny image or the
same small region of the image if it takes too long) it's possible that
you might spot some interesting differences that might give you a clue.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure