POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Decency group attemps to kill freedom of speech : Re: Decency group attemps to kill freedom of speech Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:17:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Decency group attemps to kill freedom of speech
From: Chambers
Date: 22 Dec 2008 19:08:06
Message: <FB978802D67148D588E07FAC63485DAD@HomePC>

I didn't say anything of the sort.  I just think you shouldn't
automatically dismiss them just because they offend you.

> Yes, freedom of expression is a good thing, but let's say it as it is,
> 99.9%
> of all expression is worthless, even if it's (maybe especially if
it's)
> laced with vulgarities.

Yes, the "90% of everything is crap" rule.  Does it matter, though?  If
90% of YouTube comments contain certain words, those words can't really
be said to be offensive to the majority of society, can they?
(Obviously, sample sets come into play here... that is, the set of
people who post YouTube comments is not necessarily representative of
Society as a whole, but that's another issue).

It seems like an extremely vocal minority is complaining about the
behavior of the majority.  How, and why, should the minority be given
the power to censor?

...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com