POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Decency group attemps to kill freedom of speech : Decency group attemps to kill freedom of speech Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  Decency group attemps to kill freedom of speech
From: Chambers
Date: 21 Dec 2008 19:33:06
Message: <F40ED582413D4A528A205962FF1CC6F9@HomePC>
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081221-ptc-goes-after-youtube-use
r-comments.html

While I applaud the idea of parents supervising their children, I hate
the idea of censorship in any way, shape or form.  For one thing, the
whole idea of censorship is unworkable.  Who is to say whose morals
should be used in passing judgment?  And why should it be a crime to
offend certain people?

After all, we remember Socrates precisely because he offended the
majority of his contemporaries (even calling himself society's gadfly,
annoying them with his criticisms until they changed).  Outspoken
"offenders" of history have always been an integral part of societal
change, from the Women's Suffrage movement, to the equal rights
campaigns in the 60s, to the fall of Communism in the 80s, and still
continue today.  And those are only in the last hundred years. going
back further, every major change in thinking has been preceded by
outspoken individuals who offended those around them.

Myself, I don't even want to avoid being offended.  I had a Professor a
few years ago who gave us some great advice: If something provokes a
strong emotional reaction in you, then you have a great opportunity to
learn about yourself.

Even religious zealots should agree.  Joseph Smith was once asked by a
woman what to do about her neighbor, who had been spreading slander
about her.  He responded that it would be best to examine the slander to
see if even the smallest portion of it were true; if so, then the woman
should thank her neighbor for pointing it out to her, try to overcome
that fault, and move on with her life.

Of course, we don't have to go out of our way to expose ourselves to
things we find offensive.  There's nothing wrong with avoiding something
you know will offend you, or teaching your family to do the same.  In
fact, learning to reconcile your own morals with those of society is an
important part of emotional maturity.  But it is childish and, funnily
enough, offensive to try to force your own standards of living on those
around you.

...Ben Chambers

www.pacificwebguy.com