POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Decency group attemps to kill freedom of speech : Re: Decency group attemps to kill freedom of speech Server Time
9 Oct 2024 20:51:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Decency group attemps to kill freedom of speech
From: Chambers
Date: 22 Dec 2008 23:21:54
Message: <E79FF8044B52463D9BDCCAF39E66EE3A@HomePC>

There are two major negative events associated with Hitler, being the
Holocaust and World War II.

Of the two, neither can be attributed to Hitler himself.

As far as the Holocaust goes, antisemitism had been around for centuries
before Hitler, and had been particularly strong in Germany in the decades
leading up to the 30s.  For instance, Richard Wagner, the noted composer,
was widely known for his hatred of the Jews, and he died six years before
Hitler was born.  Yet even he didn't cause popular opinion, but rather
expressed and echoed it.

In other words, Germany as a societal whole had been moving towards the
Holocaust for some time.

And as far as the Second World War goes, if Hitler hadn't started it,
someone else would have.  Most of the material I've read on the subject
agrees that the economic sanctions imposed after the first World War,
combined with the widespread death, destruction and poverty that naturally
followed it, ripened Europe for another conflict.

So again, we have an outspoken individual, yes, but society accepted him
because he mirrored popular opinion at the time.  Removing Hitler from the
scene would have prevented neither the Holocaust nor WWII.

Here's the thing about censorship that always got to me: they're going
after the symptom, but ignoring the underlying problem.  If, to go back to
the original example, people often post crude and vulgar comments on
YouTube, *can* you solve the problem by censoring YouTube?

The answer, of course, is "no."  While you will trim the comments from
YouTube, those same people will continue to use foul language in their
daily lives and on other web sites they frequent.  In other words, the
symptom of offensive YouTube comments will be gone, but the underlying
problem of people using offensive language will remain (and will be
unchanged).

If you really want to affect people's actions and attitudes, then you
can't legislate or proscribe your own mores on them.  All you'll do is
inspire resentment, anger and bitterness (and a resentful, angry and
bitter crowd of internet commenters deprived of their favorite outlet is
not a group you want to have pissed off at you, *especially* if you don't
like foul language).  The long-term solution, of course, is for parents to
teach their children what is and isn't appropriate.  And if, over time,
parents neglect to teach their children that certain language is
inappropriate, doesn't that language become appropriate - and make
censorship of it a moot point in the process?

...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com