POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Poser 5 : Re: Poser 5 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poser 5
From: Mike Williams
Date: 15 Jan 2004 01:21:49
Message: <E01iCAAtFjBAFwg3@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Dan P who wrote:
>"Mike Williams" <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote in message
>news:t7n### [at] econymdemoncouk...
><snip>
>> Good luck. I reckon that the Poser manual is pretty good at covering a
>> difficult subject, but if you can do better then I look forward to it.
>
>Thanks :-) I've gotta knack for communicating things like this.
>
>> Obviously, the manual omits details of techniques that illegally
>> "borrow" the geometry of proprietary figure models to use as the basis
>> for clothes models.
>
>It isn't illegal to create derivitive works from another work of art and
>sell it so long as it is clearly distinguishible from the original. Here is
>some supporting text from
>http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ40.pdf

I thought that that part of the P5 EULA was legally binding. Curious
Labs went to considerable lengths with the set up of the part of the
license that covers the use of proprietary geometry from restricted
content data because they'd had problems when they tried to prosecute
clothes-makers who stole the geometry of P4 models.

I didn't follow the legal arguments, but there was considerable
discussion at the time on alt.binaries.3d.poser where it was reckoned to
be fairly solid. Unfortunately the discussion is not archived on Google
Groups because of the word "binaries" in the group name.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure