POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: pov-news search engine? : Re: pov-news search engine? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov-news search engine?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 26 Feb 2000 16:40:54
Message: <CUe4OGvvcHNPawe7MvSuMt6GRtjN@4ax.com>
On Sat, 26 Feb 2000 13:38:56 -0800, Bruce <dke### [at] sksympaticoca> wrote:

>I was just curious how difficult this would be to set up, and how useful
>it might be.
>(...and if this can already be done, I appologize, but I thought that
>the POV group disallowed mirroring of their news-server, so the
>deja-news type server's wouldn't have access...)

The text on this server sums up to over two hundred megabytes (headers
included). Imagine having 50 users searching through that. Add the
overhead of compression which is used to save disk space, and you get
a somewhat clear picture of the situation.

It's not impossible, but I don't know if the current hardware would be
able to manage it adequately.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet
ICQ: 15002700