POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity: status & SMP idea : Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:27:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea
From: Chambers
Date: 28 Dec 2008 14:57:15
Message: <BFE51C97C1584032816739AA598E8FA4@HomePC>

Warp, that statement makes my point.

I think we're operating under different assumptions here.  I'm under the
impression that a scene would look best when the entire scene uses the
same lighting model.

You're saying that different parts of the scene can use different
lighting models.

While technically you are correct, the results do *not* look good.
Remember those 80s movies, where you would have a scene shot with one
light, and an actor filmed separately in different lighting conditions,
and the actor was superimposed onto the scene?  Remember how fake and
horrible it looked?

Now, if you're *trying* to make a scene that looks fake and horrible,
then by all means go ahead.  Most of us here don't want that.

And as far as triangle meshes go, I think it would be a good thing for
POV to support them (it currently doesn't, you know, unless you run it
through a converter anyway), BUT they should fit in the scene... meaning
they need the same texturing & lighting models that the rest of POV
uses.

...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

A render isn't slow unless it won't finish until after your next
birthday.