POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : MegaPov height_of to Pov 3.5 : Re: MegaPov height_of to Pov 3.5 Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:24:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPov height_of to Pov 3.5
From: Glenn Greenway
Date: 5 Aug 2002 15:15:41
Message: <B9744727.4BFF%glenncg@isrv.com>
in article chr### [at] netplexaussieorg, Christopher
James Huff at chr### [at] maccom wrote on 8/5/02 12:08 PM:

> In article <B973A1CB.4BDC%gle### [at] isrvcom>,
> Glenn Greenway <gle### [at] isrvcom> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone help me translate MegaPov's height_of to the new Pov? Thank you.
>
> If you are talking about the hf_height_at() function, adding it to POV
> 3.5 would be a waste of time, since trace() is already there and is a
> much better solution. Just trace from a point above the height field
> directly down. It is much more flexible, and works for any shape.
Thank you for your comments.  However, I would like to evaluate a height
field at parse time, not render time.  I've been trying to use bitmap data
to add a deformation map feature to a mesh creation macro i've been working
on. I thought that the 3.5 function feature might be the way to go.  But i
can't figger it.  With MegaPov hf_height_at() i could loop through and
evaluate values at each point before rendering.  Thanks again.