POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : queston for the math wizards... : Re: queston for the math wizards... Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:10:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: queston for the math wizards...
From: Dan Byers
Date: 11 Jul 2002 21:53:24
Message: <B9539F5A.D358%goofygrafx@aol.com>
in article 3d2e3304@news.povray.org, Slime at slm### [at] slimelandcom wrote on
7/11/02 8:36 PM:

<snip>

> Now, if you plan on doing this calculation many different times, then you
> should do it not with numbers, but rather with variables, out on paper (the
> variables would be the slope and x and y values of a point on the line, the
> x and y values of the center of the circle, and the radius of the circle. be
> sure to give them all separate names that don't include "x", "y", or "z" so
> that you don't get confused.). Then find the solution in terms of the
> variables, and you'll come up with a single equation that you can type into
> povray to easily find the intersections given the variables.

that was the plan all along - I want to incorporate it into the macro
include file I'm working on for my blobs :)

> I commend you on your desire to know how to do these without the use of the
> trace() function. It will get you farther in the long run.
>
> - Slime
> [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

more of a necessity, actually - most of the POVing I do, I do at work using
v. 3.1 for DOS (d'oh!).. believe me, if I could use trace(), I would!  :)

again, thanks a bunch!  I now have something interesting to work on this
weekend... :)

--
dan
http://hometown.aol.com/goofygrafx