POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : ? frames take longer & longer... just me? Apparently not. : Re: ? frames take longer & longer... just me? Apparently not. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:29:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ? frames take longer & longer... just me? Apparently not.
From: Martin Crisp
Date: 3 Jul 1999 22:06:05
Message: <B3A4FEB4-3A5A5@147.109.83.2>
On Sun, 4 Jul 1999 3:45 AM, Thorsten Froehlich
<mailto:fro### [at] charliecnsiitedu> wrote:
>In article <B3A### [at] 14710983.2> , "Martin Crisp"
><tra### [at] tesseractcomau> wrote:
>
>> Any tips on reducing the render time other than periodically quitting
and
>> restarting POV?
>
>No, to be honest the problem is due to some still existing memory leaks
(we
>think), not much, about 1 KB per render, but that is enough to cause a bit
>of memory fragmentation during animation renders.

Found most of my time 'loss' disappeared if I didn't have the preview
window open (variation in frame times easily explainable by differences in
anti-aliasing required, reflection etc.)

Still shouldn't be happening, but at least I can prevent it.

[should have tried that before posting!]

>> If not then I guess it's time to test the applescript support...
>
>Sorry, only the required suite is supported yet. But you can still get
>minimal automatic rendering as you can set up POv-Ray to auto-start a
>render
>when it is opened and receives and open document event.

And if I use AppleScript to alter .ini file contents....

A bit more tiresome than if the support were further along* (oh for a
compiler and the time to learn the APIs well enough...), but should still
make all sorts of things possible.

*not a criticism, I hate to imagine how much time you guys spend on this
for the 'love' of it.

Have Fun
Martin
--
Owner/Operator - Tesseract Computing
<hypercube 'at' tesseract.com.au> or just reply.

Computer Systems Officer - Tourism Tasmania
<Martin.Crisp 'at' tourism.tas.gov.au>

I speak for me.