POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Making grass : Re: Making grass Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making grass
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 16 Nov 2003 04:32:02
Message: <9rrj81-u12.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Justin Smith wrote:
> I've written a fairly simple grass macro. I want to use it to coat some
> isosurface terrain. Each blade of grass consists of only 3 triangle
> objects. The macro works by using trace() at a random x,z position with
> each blade of grass. I think I need around 500,000 blades of grass to get a
> realistic look. The problem here is that even with 2.1 Ghz and 1 GB of Ram,
> I never even get to the rendering step of generating the output image. It
> spends about a half hour on the parsing, and then at least 2 more hours on
> generating bounding slabs (I quit after that).

3*500000 triangles should not be a problem if they are in one mesh
(500000 meshes with each 3 triangles could be a problems though).

None the less most scenes with complex vegetation make use of
instancing, i.e. the same mesh is used several times in the scene.

Christoph

Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______