POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : text & trace() bug : Re: text & trace() bug Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: text & trace() bug
From: Mike Williams
Date: 24 Oct 2003 02:23:52
Message: <9qTjkCAqBMm$EwRW@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Alain who wrote:

>I quickly searched the newsgroups for this, but didn't find anything.  Is
>it a known bug that the normal returned by trace() for a text object is
>reversed?

I see that it's only the sides of the text characters that show this
effect. If the trace() ray hits the front or back face of a letter, then
the normal is correct. (To see this, rotate the text like this in your
scene
  #declare Text = text {
    ttf "arial.ttf" "O" 1, <0,0,0>
    scale 2
    translate <-0.5,-0.3,0>
    rotate y*45
    translate <1,0,0>
  }

It looks like the sides of the characters are inside out. If we paint a
text with a red texture and a green interior_texture we can see that the
sides are interior and the faces are exterior.

#version 3.5;
global_settings {assumed_gamma 1.0}
camera { location  <0, 0, -2> }
light_source { <-2,2,-4> color rgb 1 }