POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe : Re: Mysteries of the universe Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:14:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mysteries of the universe
From: Stephen
Date: 3 Sep 2009 11:37:23
Message: <9lov95tssl0ab7rbngtkoc4ujlnaeqn9ld@4ax.com>
On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 15:43:01 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>> Standing under the twin-line set is creepy as hell. They crackle and
>> buzz quite audibly. The other lines, are very quiet, they don't make a
>> sound.
>
>Mmm. Petrol station. No naked flames. Switch off engine. No mobile
>phones. Bzzzzzzzzzzz.
>
>That can't be good(tm)!

Actually it is quite hard to ignite petrol from a petrol pump with a naked
flame.
Besides having a LEL (Lower Explosive Limit) petrol has an Upper Explosive Limit
(UEL) where above that level the gas/air mixture is too rich to burn. In the
open air the gas/air mixture goes from too rich to too leen very quickly. I once
saw a petrol pump attendant put a lit cigarette into the mouth of a full petrol
tank.

I would not do it myself, though. ;)
--

Regards