POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : Re: JPEG2000 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG2000
From: IMBJR
Date: 7 Mar 2004 13:33:50
Message: <9jqm40h1b5f0n063ceij7lmauslk12bgl1@4ax.com>
On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 18:08:24 +0100, "laurent.artaud[AT]free.fr"
<"laurent.artaud[AT]free.fr"> wrote:

>> Any comments?
>
>I am, personally, against this format for some reasons:
>
>1) I'm using Linux and I don't know how to display JPEG2000. None of the
>three major programs (XV, Image Magick, Gimp-1.2.5) can open or save it.

I believe there is a way, but I'm a Linux virgin so it's unsafe to
trust me on that.

>2) For posting on news groups, you don't need a perfect display quality
>and most of the time, a jpeg with max quality is enough. And when it is
>not, PNG can be used. I know that the files are bigger, but at least,
>this format is vastly implemented.

JPEG2000 with lossy compression is by no means perfect, but it does
improve on JPEG.

PNG does indeed give large files and I feel this is maddening because
some of use still use dial-up modems.

>3) I'm asking this: What use is the 16 bits color depth if the
>compression is not lossless. 16 bits color depth is only useful for
>storage or use as master image before post processing. In this case the
>compression must be lossless. As POV export to TIFF and PNG, use one of
>those two!

The attempt to use 16-bit is definitely fraught with issues, but the
main hope is that the end-user's hardware/software will not introduce
gradient banding when displaying the image.

That's an interesing point though and one I've not really thought
about before. You may very well be right in saying that unless
lossless compression is used, 16-bit is a non-starter. However, I like
to believe that one should give the end-user the best possible intent
and provide a 16-bit image if one is capable of producing it.

>Now, in one year or two, when (if) JPEG2000 takes jpeg's place and is as
>widely spread, it will be another thing. But for the time, as more that
>half of the users can't display it, using it for an other thing that
>your personal use or between your friends (the ones that you KNOW can
>display it) will only create the kind of reaction you get with your post.

But can't you see the chicken-and-egg situation you are creating?

If one does not encourage JPEG2000 useage, one is not going to get
that spread.

My First Subgenius Picture Book:
http://www.imbjr.com