POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : WinPov and DosPov speed comparison : Re: WinPov and DosPov speed comparison Server Time
5 May 2024 10:57:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WinPov and DosPov speed comparison
From: Spider
Date: 23 Apr 1999 18:04:28
Message: <924901165.464015691@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Nieminen Mika wrote:
<snip>
>  There was one big problem with the memory hog test with the DOS POV-Ray:
>After rendering, the program spent about 20 minutes (!) just freeing the
>swap file. The Windows version spent only a couple of minutes freeing the
>memory.
This has an easy explination.
in DOS, the program removes the whole swap file frrom the drive, it's a rather
cumbersome procedure to first empty it, and then remove it. While windows
leaves it all "as is" and only overwrites it as necessary afterwards.

If you think about it for a while I think you'll see why the speed difference
appears in this case.

//Spider
--KRN sucks.