POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Technical support is... : Re: Technical support is... Server Time
9 Oct 2024 14:38:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Technical support is...
From: Stephen
Date: 11 Feb 2009 11:48:57
Message: <9106p4p36r6du0fcj84cckqf50v8rcq6hv@4ax.com>
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 07:12:52 -0600, Mike Raiford <"m[raiford]!at"@gmail.com>
wrote:

>For some reason switching power supplies and inductive loads are prone
>to tripping them, I can't understand why (inductive maybe because of
>power factor, switching supply, who knows...) All I know is my freezer
>has a tag on the plug that says never plug into a GFCI outlet (truth:
>parents did this, and noticed soon enough the freezer stopped working
>before everything thawed, then it kept happening. The motor that runs
>the compressor draws a lot of current, and probably doesn't have power
>factor correction)

I think that you must be right about the inductive loads. I don't have as many
problems now since changing to energy saving light bulbs.

>On the other hand, it was quite irritating to have the GFCI
>spontaneously trip on the circuit my computer was plugged into. I
>finally resorted to buying a long high-grade extension cord and finding
>an unprotected outlet on the other side of the apartment (in a different
>room, mind you) to plug my computer into.

I ended buying individual filtering circuits for all my HiFi components and what
a difference that has made to the sound quality. :)

>Ironically, the outlet on the porch isn't GFCI protected. :-D

WTF! Double indemnity outside the home? :)
--

Regards
     Stephen