POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Programming languages : Re: Programming languages Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming languages
From: povray
Date: 15 Oct 2004 21:18:09
Message: <8mmvm0hfj9dqlhj4jbu99t7im0dlnik2vt@4ax.com>
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:29:16 +0100, "Tom Melly"
<pov### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote:

>What is the minimum required for a fully-functional programming language?
>(i.e. one in which, theoretically, you could perform any calculation).

If I understand your question, I think you mean a
"turing complete" language.  If you google using that
term you can probably get a formal definition.

>iirc machine code seems to get by purely on 'ifs' and assignments - would in
>theory a language be functional that only had these two functions (and
>presumably the ability to loop over the whole code, but not individual
>sections of it).

Google "oisc" or "one instruction set computer".  Interesting
results.

--
to all the companies who wait until a large user base becomes
dependant on their freeware, then shafting said happy campers with