POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : When words and phrases change their meaning : Re: When words and phrases change their meaning Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: When words and phrases change their meaning
From: Stephen
Date: 20 Sep 2009 17:43:20
Message: <8f8db5tun00u95lkrg7oip1uhd7k2tt1mj@4ax.com>
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 19:10:35 +0200, clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

>This reminds me of a famous TV show that's traditionally repeated over
>and over again every new year's eve in German television - an old
>black-and-white recording of a sketch played by Freddie Frinton and May
>Warden somewhen somewhere, called "Dinner for One". Virtually every
>German knows the dialogues by heart. One of Frintons lines, playing a
>butler, is "Would you like some fruit"? - where he pronounces the
>"fruit" exactly like that.
>
>So no, she's not the only one - even respectable English butlers apear
>to be mispronouncing it at times... or maybe that's the /right/ way to
>pronounce it?

Well Christoph, the British upper class pronounce things in their own way. The
Guardian's cartoonist's Steve Bell does a wonderful phonetic rendition. An
example can be found at the Monday May 26 link at
http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/stevebell/index.html#

I know the film you mean, funnily enough it was a German programmer who told me
about it about 10 years ago.
The same as last year. :D

--

Regards