POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CSG Union causes major slow-down : Re: CSG Union causes major slow-down Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG Union causes major slow-down
From: Peter Popov
Date: 24 May 2000 17:54:09
Message: <8cjoisstppknvq3haptng1li5qvb46ilue@4ax.com>
On 23 May 2000 22:01:44 -0400, ron### [at] povrayorg (Ron Parker)
wrote:

>>Merge is internally represented as a complex CSG. It takes more memory
>>and generally takes longer to render than the equivalent union. This
>>is not true in some special cases but this shouldn't be one of them.
>
>Actually, it is internally represented as a merge.  Difference is the
>operation you're thinking of.

I know a difference is an intersection with the inverse. What I meant
was that merge { object { A } object { B } } is equivalent to

union
{ intersection { object { A } object { B inverse } }
  intersection { object { B } object { A inverse } }
}

>In this case, a ray will never hit internal walls anyway, so there is
>probably no difference in speed.

Merging may have actually helped (the problem has been solved by
manual bounding etc.) if it helped POV bound the individual stones. I
can't say more without testing it.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet