POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Why does POV always evaluate both expressions with a '&'? : Re: Why does POV always evaluate both expressions with a '&'? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why does POV always evaluate both expressions with a '&'?
From: Micha Riser
Date: 27 Sep 2001 12:00:02
Message: <8bivo9.084.ln@micha.riser>
Chris Cason wrote:

> It's a language thing. Some languages use short-circuit evaluation, and
> some don't (e.g. certainly standard pascal, and probably some versions of
> basic at the very least). So a pascal user might say the same thing as you
> if we changed it to use short-circuit evals.

Yes, I know that it varies from language to language.. but AFAIK modern
languages tend to short-circuit evaluation - at least Oberon uses it ;)

> Apart from that above I'm not commenting on whether or not it will be
> changed, I'm simply pointing out that it's not as illogical as you seem to
> think.

I never claimed that short-circuit evaluation is more logical - I think at
first sight the current implemenation is more logical. But all the same I
believe that there would be an advantage of changing it.

- Micha