POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Man, does this look fake! : Re: Man, does this look fake! Server Time
10 Aug 2024 20:58:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Man, does this look fake!
From: Peter Popov
Date: 2 Nov 1999 11:03:41
Message: <8QUfOMcZuvadu+jL4bffUnKOJQLO@4ax.com>
On Sun, 31 Oct 1999 14:07:36 -0500, "TonyB"
<ben### [at] panamaphoenixnet> wrote:

>http://www.didgeridoings.com/Nature/NatBody.html
>
>Remember when we talked about how some things in nature look 'fake' and when
>someone traces that, we complain? Well, here you'll find lots of 'fake'
>looking sceneries from Australia. Enjoy.

I am taking the liberty to quote a few paragraphs from a book called
"Where Eagles Dare" by Alistair McLean. He is one of my favourite
authors not so much because of the action and thrill in his books but
mainly because of his unbelieveable (to me at least) mastery of the
English language. The exerpt I am quoting is the first and last
paragraph of a two-page description. I hope I am this post is not
off-topic in this thread.

"What lay below them was something out of a fairy tale, an impossibly
beautiful scene from an impossibly beautiful fairy tale, a fairy tale
set aeons back in never-never land of the age of dreams, a kindlier
land, a nobler land than man has ever known since first he had set his
hand against his brother. A land that never was, Smith thought, a land
that never lost; but there it lay before them, the golden land that
never was, the home of that most dreaded organisation in the entire
world, the German Gestapo. The impeccable incongruity of it all, Smith
reflected, passed all belief.

"Below the soaring northern ramparts of the castle the valley fell
away steeply to the Blau See, beautiful pine-fringed jewel of a lake
of the deepest and most sparkling blue, a colour which with the green
of the pines, the white dazzle of the snow and the brilliant, lighter
blue of the sky above formed a combination of breath-taking
loveliness. Impossibly lovely, Smith thought, a completely faitful
colour reproduction of the scene would have had everybody shouting
'fake'."

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700
--
Live long and prosper... But don't let the IRS know.