POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : image_map on a egg shaped object : Re: image_map on a egg shaped object Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:22:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image_map on a egg shaped object
From: Mike Williams
Date: 23 Aug 2005 05:51:24
Message: <8Jz8tNA6+uCDFwAS@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Leslie who wrote:

>My problem is trying to put the image of the dog on the uneven suface of the
>weeble. The weeble has a face in the middle and on either side are the ears
>with a tail at the back so the PNG image is being wrapped using the
>cylinder mapping.
>
>The face appears ok but the top and bottom of the ears are skewed backwards.
>
>I assume this is because the very top and bottom are curved inwards and
>POVRay is adjusting the image to fit.

I don't think POVRay is doing any such adjustment. It doesn't do any
adjustment for ellipsoids, so I can't imagine it doing so for eggs.

If you make a temporary copy of your image with some vertical lines
drawn through the ears, you should find that the lines remain perfectly
vertical under a cylindrical map.

Do you get the same "skewed ears" effect if you try mapping your image
onto a plain cylinder or sphere?

Are you certain that the axis of the Weeble goes through the origin? A
cylindrical image map radiates from the y axis.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure