POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : looking for antialiasing critical scenes : Re: looking for antialiasing critical scenes Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: looking for antialiasing critical scenes
From: Jan Walzer
Date: 24 Feb 2002 15:21:06
Message: <8JTVyB$84xB@lzer.net>
Warp wrote:

>   I don't think so.
>   If the border of the bright object takes one half of the current pixel,
> about a half of the samples will hit the object. If the object contributes
> 10 times more than the other half of the pixel, it will dominate the color
> of the pixel with a factor of 10:1 (which means that the other half of
> the pixel can diminish the color of the pixel only by 1/10, even though
> its area is 1/2 of the pixel).

It will give a solution (nearly)equal to

http://news.povray.org/8JTVb%2BOd4xB%40lzer.net

which is IMO the way AA should work ...
at least I would like to hava a switch, controlling this behaviour ...
You can also use the Jitter to select the set of points, which contribute
to the pixel ... set it to sqrt(2) and you should have a fairly good AA-
effect ... (if only I could hack a POV-Patch ...)

Remember: Clipping means loosing information ... We should throw away this
information only if we have finished processing the image ...
Don't argue with: "AA also means loosing Information" ...

true, but AA is what we want ...
But we (at least me) don't really want clipping... we just use it, because
of the limits of our graphics-hardware and fileformats ...

I wished my monitor could present pixels in a color of <1024,1024,1024>,
when <255,255,255> is normal white ...

Is there any way to convince you ?

BTW: if the behaviour would have any chance of beeing changed, consider,
for the sake of consistency, to do this as well for negative values, not
only for positves ...
so a 50%-AA combination of <10,1,0> and <0,-10,0> would give <1,0,0> after
clipping and not <0.5,0.5,0>