POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Athlon Thunderbird/PIII numbers anyone? : Re: Athlon Thunderbird/PIII numbers anyone? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 04:59:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Athlon Thunderbird/PIII numbers anyone?
From: Rev  Bob 'Bob' Crispen
Date: 20 Oct 2000 22:37:43
Message: <8FD3D6891revbob@204.213.191.228>
The kindly Rev. overheard ako### [at] povrayNO-SPAMorg (Alan Kong) saying
on 20 Oct 2000:

>  Rev. Bob, you might take a look at "The Need for SPEED -
>Waa-Hoooooo...", a thread posted in p.off-topic. Ken recently
>purchased an Athlon 950mhz machine and conducted a few comparisons to
>his old Pentium 200mhz box.

Great!  Many thanks.  I saw another couple of posts on p.general that
indicated that the Athlon is working well for some other folks, too.

I've set followups to povray.off-topic, but I just wanted to finish up
here by saying that the chip I'm really drooling over is reviewed at
<http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q4/001017/index.html>.  Another site
that reviews the 1.2GHz Athlon says you ought to have a 300-400W power
supply and more cooling than you think you could conceivably ever need
and then some.  The whole setup of the system they ran the benchmark on
gives me "that special feeling".

Speaking of GMAW -- this is barely on-topic because I recall reading
that the Athlon had some hardware instructions that did matrix
manipulation -- I was wondering whether there's a C compiler anywhere
that would generate those instructions.  Doing a render with those
instructions enabled would go so fast it'd create a black hole.
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
crispen at hiwaay dot net

Omen:  A sign from God of an impending obscurity.