POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New Group? : Re: New Group? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:25:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Group?
From: ingo
Date: 4 Mar 2000 16:59:33
Message: <8EEDECC66seed7@204.213.191.228>
Bill DeWitt wrote:

>Hmm.. just thinking, if we used peer pressure to get most renders to
>povray.binaries.images.temporary and made a tradition of only putting
>images in p.b.i. when someone replied to a test image with the phrase,
>"This one's a keeper",.....

For me everything currently in p.b.i is a keeper. For example the maze
postings, very interesting, but I'm working on other things at the moment
and might have a closer look at it in a few weeks. Same for all other
postings. They may not be of special interest at the moment, but can be in
the future. Every image can be a source of inspiration. What if such an
image is not a "keeper"? It's lost, or I (we all) have to put up my own
archive, as Peter does.

Some questions I have on a image.temp group; When an image gets a "this is
a keeper" what to do with the discussion it generated? Copy it and move it
to p.b.i? Or make a summary and move it?
What if the discussion or the technique showed is more interesting than the
picture itself? Will p.b.i become a showoff gallery filled with the
"Tran's, Hazelgrove's and Day's"?

Actually I'm _verry_ happy with the current set up of the groups. I never
minded downloading p.b.i when I was still was on a telephone. The only
thing I didn't like was the unnecessary use of big .bmp/.png files when
there was no small detail in the image that needed these file-sizes.

The addition of the p.o-t was an excellent idea, keeps the other groups
cleaner. And somehowe we manage to be on topic in p.off-topic most of the
time, that is no POV-Ray topics. So if you don't read it you won't miss
anything POV.

Ingo