POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Survey : Re: Survey Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:12:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Survey
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 18 Jan 2011 15:55:51
Message: <87zkqy2ark.fsf@fester.com>
Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> writes:

> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>> What Wikileaks scandals represent a state of affairs that is worse now
>> than when you were younger?
>
> More like the response to it. When Nixon was called out, we went after

Oh, OK.

> the President, not the newspapers. I don't remember people threatening

The media landscape has definitely changed, as is a factor for all of
this. Easy access to propaganda leads to easier radicalization.

>> Ditto the Gitmo thing. Trashing the rights of the "other" is part of US
>> history.
>
> It is still considered scandalous that Lincoln locked people up without
> trial during the civil war. People are still bothered by the US locking

And I don't doubt 150 years from now, Gitmo will be considered
scandalous as well.

> up people of Japanese descent during WW2 - we still recognise *that* as
> wrong.

But Gitmo is not locking up Americans, which is the difference between
the current scenario and your two scenarios.

> And, face it, most people *are* outraged at Gitmo, at bankers trashing
> the economy, at the "too big to fail" concept, etc etc etc. Yet it
> continues.

Keep electing the guys who let you down, and it will continue.