POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead : Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 25 Jun 2010 00:15:29
Message: <87sk4bzr04.fsf@fester.com>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> writes:

> Neeum Zawan <fee### [at] festercom> wrote:
>> And if you want a really poor movie from an SF perspective, go and watch
>> District 9.
>
>   I'm beginning to think that there are *no* good sci-fi movies in existence.
>
>   Every time a sci-fi movie comes out, somebody will complain and point
> out how ludicrous some detail about it is, hence making it nothing but a
> caricature of "good" sci-fi. I don't think there exists any movie which
> would be considered "good" in this regard.
>
>   This makes me wonder what these people are comparing the movies to.
> Nothing, I suppose. Some vapid imaginary concept they have about what
> a "good" sci-fi movie should be like.

I compare to textual SF (i.e. novels and stories).

Don't get me wrong - I really liked District 9. Just had some poor SF
aspects. A lot of my issues with it could have been resolved without
much effort. It just wasn't the director's goal.

If one can call The Man From Earth SF, I'd say that's good SF.

The original Planet Of The Apes movie was probably good SF.

As was The Forbidden Planet.

Of course, I suppose your point is that this is all subjective...