POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computer system : Re: Computer system Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computer system
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 25 Jul 2010 20:01:50
Message: <87sk379kjp.fsf@fester.com>
"somebody" <x### [at] ycom> writes:

> I guess you do get the performance somewhat in line with the rpm, but even
> though I have amassed copious amounts of data due to my obsessive compulsive
> habit of keeping all revisions of all code, models, images, renderings, and
> documents, the amount of data I access on a daily basis is relatively small
> and I'm not concerned with waiting a few extra seconds or minutes per day
> for saving/loading. Plus the price difference between 5400 and 7200 drives

If it were a case of only when _I_ intentionally access data, then it
would not be a big deal. My experience when I switched (almost 10 years
ago) was that so many other things got a lot faster. It gave more or
less the illusion that the whole computer had gotten faster. Then I
realized how much a bottleneck disk I/O could be. The disk is accessed a
lot, apparently.