POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Re: Povray on Debian AMD64 : Re: Povray on Debian AMD64 Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:12:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray on Debian AMD64
From: Miles Bader
Date: 22 Sep 2004 16:34:50
Message: <87pt4eoxef.fsf@tc-1-100.kawasaki.gol.ne.jp>
Nicolas Calimet <pov### [at] freefr> writes:
> 	They don't steal girlfriends (AFAIK), but occasionally some
> package maintainers do manage to "destabilize" the softwares they
> have in charge  :-)  [I should actually  :-(  instead]
>
> 	Not only Debian does that, in fact.  I also heard some funny
> things about other Linux distributors.  One well-known example is
> about a GCC 2.96 (which was never released by the GCC development
> team) that caused many troubles.

That's the point of course -- _all_ distros patch their software.
Sometimes this causes problems (as the infamous redhat "gcc 2.96" case),
but usually it's for good reaons (otherwise they wouldn't do it).
Debian is no different.

-Miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff