POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Survey : Re: Survey Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Survey
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 18 Jan 2011 10:55:16
Message: <87lj2i438w.fsf@fester.com>
Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> writes:

>> "best interests", but I'd say once you get to the federal level, it
>> seems that the primary concern is electability. Most do the most they
>> can to benefit themselves within that constraint. Electability is what
>> is supposed to guarantee that the country gains as well.
>
> Yep.  But I think they're less worried about getting re-elected now than
> they were, perhaps.

Perhaps the two parties' platforms are closer to each other than they
used to be?

> Yep. But the very idea that "as long as I get reelected, I'll do
> anything I can get away with" is what I'm talking about. I mean, we have
> all kinds of scandals, the whole gitmo bay thing, the whole wikileaks
> thing, etc etc.

What Wikileaks scandals represent a state of affairs that is worse now
than when you were younger?

Ditto the Gitmo thing. Trashing the rights of the "other" is part of US
history. It sucks, but I don't think it's worse than before. If you
think of the wider issue of atrocities and crappy treatment of others,
it wouldn't surprise me if things were worse in the past.