POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead : Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:16:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 17 Jun 2010 01:12:34
Message: <87bpbaxmvv.fsf@fester.com>
Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> writes:

> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>> Yes and yes. Although I hear it less frequently for the latter. The
>> former's case is not that rare.
>
> I guess I just object to taking a movie like ZombieLand or something,
> and turning it into a fantasy by having the character say "Nobody is
> sure where zombies came from, maybe a wizard in China." Or turning it
> into science fiction by having him say "Nobody is sure where zombies
> came from, maybe an escaped science lab."  Yet having them otherwise be
> exactly the same movie.

I'm often not too happy at a lot of things labeled SF. But I have to be
honest with myself and say that I like a number of stories that are
considered SF, that I consider to have an SF "feel" about them, but yet
have little to do with science (you know, lots of space stories,
including a lot of Asimov's stuff).

Although I'm not sure why you'd object to 1984 as SF. It wasn't the
point of the book, but science/technology played a key role.