POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : kindle : Re: kindle Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:14:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: kindle
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 26 Aug 2010 22:33:20
Message: <87bp8ovl43.fsf@fester.com>
Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> writes:

> Yeah, but if they'd done that with a paper book, they'd not have come
> into my home, taken it and left me the money.  That's vaguely what they
> did, though, with the eBook.  They needed (IMHO) to make it right in a
> similar fashion rather than taking advantage of the fact that they
> *could* just "unsell" it electronically.  Just because you can do
> something, doesn't mean you should.  It created a lot of uncertainty
> about eBooks.

To be honest, I find the analogy with physical books somewhat
flawed. Electronic media /is/ different, and the notion of rights
differs as well. In the long run, I'm sure people's views will change
about such things, and it won't be perceived as a violation of rights.

I don't like it either, which is why I still prefer a physical copy
(mine or the library's). However, I can see a middle ground where for
certain category of items an ebook reader may be preferred.