POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Survey : Re: Survey Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Survey
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 17 Jan 2011 22:36:12
Message: <8762tm6g13.fsf@fester.com>
Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> writes:

> Do you believe your government is working in the best interests of the
> people of the country? If you answer, what country are you in?

Define government: Federal? State? City? My general perception is that
corruption goes up the larger the constituency. It's hard to speak about
"best interests", but I'd say once you get to the federal level, it
seems that the primary concern is electability. Most do the most they
can to benefit themselves within that constraint. Electability is what
is supposed to guarantee that the country gains as well.

Always counterexamples, of course.

> I think a lot of what happens in the USA, a lot of what Americans
> complain about, is that it's pretty obvious that in spite of what the
> people want, and in spite of what would be good for the country as a
> whole, it just keeps not happening, regardless of who gets elected. How

How often have these people who complain a lot decided to "make
compromises" and end up voting Republican or Democrat? As long as that
is their reasoned approach, the party they vote for has no incentive to
cater to them.