POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Made me laugh... : Re: Made me laugh... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:26:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Made me laugh...
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 23 Oct 2010 16:31:54
Message: <8739rwabs2.fsf@fester.com>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> writes:

> On 10/22/2010 1:34 AM, scott wrote:
> Seriously? You think I mean "literal" workshop, or I am talking about
> sermons, rather than, say, showing up, for example, on the blog of a
> well known biologist, where the guy *talks* about his, and other
> people's work, and proceeds to say, "I don't believe in evolution. As an
> engineer, I know everything *must* have a designer, and therefor I
> believe god did it, not some random process!". Other than failing to use

Yes, but I'm having trouble seeing how their saying this has any
influence. I've yet to hear an anti-evolutionist say "Everyone has a
designer because the engineers, who really know their stuff, say so!"

In any case, I think you're overstating a point. As Darren pointed out,
one could reject evolution, and still do fantastic work on
evolution. That's the difference between beliefs and training. Heck, I
know economists who are regarded highly in their fields who point out
that they don't believe some of the more fundamental axioms of
economics. Yet, they're quite happy to invoke those axioms to do what is
considered great research in economics.

I often find that people have this notion that you have to be a complete
believer in the scientific process, and all that comes with it, to do
good science. History repeatedly has shown that not to be the case.