POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Cloth simulators : Re: Cloth simulators Server Time
2 Jun 2024 05:01:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloth simulators
From: Lars Erik Bryld
Date: 30 Apr 2001 14:43:49
Message: <82cretg9po1419p7260mki1b029blhccb7@4ax.com>
On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 14:21:19 +0100, "Andy Cocker"
<big### [at] mariner9fsnetcouk> wrote:

>Don't understand the inner workings of uv_mapping myself, but found that a
>simple rotation worked ok. Never thought anymore about it.

Not going to either then..

>Well, AFAIK, use as high an initial number of steps as you need (to allow
>the flag to become 'settled' - to drop to it's natural position), then just
>use small steps from then on between each frame. Something like -s 10 or -s
>25, whichever works best. The higher the number, the faster the animation. I
>guess this all interacts with wind strength, and damping too.

-s 25 creates very wild movements - at least with damping 0.001, but
I'll experiment further

>In the case of a flag, where start and end positions don't really matter,
>then no. However, if your animation starts with the flag 'at rest', and the
>wind builds gradually, then you would have to restart the simulation each
>time you rendered the anim. Is that clear?

Crystal!

>> And to end it all: Any comments on Cloth Simulator vs Clothray?
>
>Clothray allows the cloth to interact with any declared POV shape (I think I
>am correct on this), whereas Cloth Sim uses just a few primitives, and I
>don't think you can rotate them directly within the *.cl file. Plus, I
>suppose it's more convenient to have everything within the one prog.

Sure - if only I had any idea how the configs in the .cth file works.
If you come across some scene examples I'd love the url. I am
following these groups, of course...

I am inferring that you yourself largely have abandoned ClothSim in
favour of Clothray then. Is that right?

>Lastly, I noticed you are using a modified version of the flag anim that
>came with Cloth Sim. I think that the anim came with Cloth Sim 0.3, and uses
>damping 0.001. However, I got the impression that the way damping works
>changed when Cloth Sim 0.4.0 came out, so you might want to experiment with
>raising this value (maybe as high as 1), I dunno. I could be wrong tho.

Right now I'm at damping 0.05 and lowering (using -s 25)

Thanks for responding :) I have been admiring your work of last month

Med venlig hilsen

Lars Erik Bryld ( larserik @ dadlnet.dk )